2017年11月17日 星期五

Common Collocations with ‘Say’, ‘Tell’ and ‘Ask’



GENERAL GRAMMAR

Common Collocations with ‘Say’, ‘Tell’ and ‘Ask’ 

How to Use: Say, Tell, Ask - Common expressions with say, tell and ask



1. Collocations with SAY

say hello  
I rang up just to say hello.

say goodbye
She didn't even say goodbye to her mother.

say good morning/ afternoon/ etc.
She called in to Rory's room to say good morning and then she came downstairs.

say something/ nothing        
I want to say something to you in private.

say so          
Aunt Sophia was angry and said so in as many words.

say a prayer              
I'll say a prayer for you.

say a few words      
With your permission, I'd like to say a few words.

say no more                
I will say no more on these matters, important though they are.

say for certain/sure                
I can't say for certain/sure how long I'll be there.


2. Collocations with TELL

tell a lie        
He swore by Jupiter not to tell a lie again.

tell a story  
I think the song maybe tell a story about you.

tell somebody a secret        
I am going to tell you a secret someone told me.

tell a joke    
You tell a joke even worse than your father.

tell the truth              
She persuaded him to tell the truth.

tell the time               
My daughter has just learned to tell the time.

tell the difference  
Can you tell the difference between 'apes' and 'monkeys'?

tell the future          
No one can tell the future.

tell somebody one's name  
Why won't you tell me your name?

tell somebody the way        
Can you tell me the way out of here?

tell someone's fortune        
This old lady in the apartment next to mine offered to tell my fortune for ten bucks.


3. Collocations with ASK

ask a question          
Can I ask a question?

ask a favour                
May I ask a favour of you?

ask the price              
Did you ask the price?

ask after somebody              
He always asks after you in his letters.

ask the time               
May I ask the time?

ask around  
I don't know if there's any work, but I'll ask around for you.

ask for something/ somebody           
I would never ask for any favours from her.























https://www.eslbuzz.com/common-collocations-with-say-tell-and-ask/
Flag Counter

沒有留言:

張貼留言